Hovis Wharf SW1

11 December 1940

By Joseph Torregrossa

At 10.40pm on 11 December 1940, three heavy calibre high explosive bombs were dropped on Westminster, one of them landing on the Hovis Flour Mill at 147-149 Grosvenor Road SW1, on the north bankside wharves south of Vauxhall Bridge. This bomb completely destroyed the Mill (built in 1912), spilling debris and equipment into the River Thames and onto an adjacent barge.

The building's entire foundations were shifted and the majority of its facilities, including the laboratory, joiners shop, mills stores, electric stores, small offices, part of the gantry and saw bridge were completely demolished.

In addition, about 70 feet of the embankment wall was destroyed, which was of some concern to river authorities. No one was working in the Mill at the time and no casualties were reported.

Today the site is occupied by the Rivermill and Crown Reach bankside housing developments.

Photo:Hovis Flour Mill and Wharf after being destroyed by a high explosive bomb, December 1940

Hovis Flour Mill and Wharf after being destroyed by a high explosive bomb, December 1940

Copyright Westminster City Archives

Photo:Damage to the Embankment and Hovis Flour Mill, December 1940

Damage to the Embankment and Hovis Flour Mill, December 1940

Copyright Westminster City Archives

Photo:Incident report for Hovis Wharf. 12 December 1940

Incident report for Hovis Wharf. 12 December 1940

Copyright Westminster City Archives

Photo:Hovis Wharf incident report detail, 12 December 1940

Hovis Wharf incident report detail, 12 December 1940

Copyright Westminster City Archives

Photo:Bomb Map: Hovis Wharf SW1

Bomb Map: Hovis Wharf SW1

Copyright Westminster City Archives

Former Hovis Flour Mill and Wharf SW1

This page was added by Joseph Torregrossa on 24/04/2012.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.